The University of Alba-Iulia, which takes its name after the date when the Union of Transylvania with Romania was declared, was founded in 1991 as a public higher education and research institution. A state institution integrated in the National higher education system, also known by its Latin name, Universitas Apulensis, it is situated in the centre of the Alba Carolina fortification, on the original location of a Dominican church and monastery which later (in 1753) became a Jesuit School and Church (The Bathory Church). The foundations of these buildings were preserved, while de upper structures were demolished in the late 19th century to make way for a neoclassical monumental building, meant to house the “Majlath” Roman Catholic Highschool (1899-1900). In the next century, the building maintained its function as an educational facility for the young, until it opened its doors in 1991 as the “1st of December 1918” University of Alba Iulia.
It comprises five faculties, each divided into several departments: History and Philology, Economic Sciences, Sciences and Engineering, Law and Social Sciences and Orthodox Theology. Currently, the Department of Archaeology and History within the Faculty of History and Philology is the only centre of its kind in Romania, having as main fields of interest Archaeology, History, and Museum Science. Within the department, there is also the Institute of Systematic Archaeology, with experts in the auxiliary sciences of archaeology and modern research laboratories and equipment.
All the study programs (bachelor, master, and doctorate level) are fully accredited by the Ministry of Education in Romania and the Bologna principles. The University and its students are fully integrated within the European system of education and research through programs such as Erasmus and also by the development of research projects supported by means of European funds.